Sunday 5 May 2013

I've Been Duped!

I am sorry to have to admit this, I have been duped in a change scam! I am just as annoyed with myself for falling for this as I am with the blooming tricksters.

It is a bit complicated to actually explain the scam but I will try.

A couple came into the shop on Saturday, I was instantly wary of them, you know when you just get a feeling about people. They were in the craft part of the shop, at this point I was trying to keep my eye on them for shop lifting, the lady or I will call her FEMALE, was constantly pressing her phone rather than looking at the crafts, which was strange, the bloke was talking a lot, trying to be pleasant.

They chose to buy a little hand painted glass cube for £1, the bloke came to the counter while the female stayed in the craft area, again my shoplifting suspicions were roused even more! Bloke gave me a £20 for £1 cube, instinct thought is this a dodgy note, no it seemed ok, so I opened the till and got the £19 change
. Bloke talking all the time asking questions about what I was making, I am still trying to keep half an eye on female, so there is a lot of distracting going on. Before the till was closed he politely quibbled the price of the cube, saying " I thought it cost £2" as it was only £1 "I could have given you the right money" he had a £1coin and some coppers in his hand.
"Tell you what" he said save "your change, i will give you this and you give me £10 note" so while the till was still open he passed over £5 note and 5 £1coins, seems a fair exchange at this stage! so I passed a £10 note over, bloke still trying to be pleasant and chatty, female still on phone in the corner of my eye.
With the £5 note and 5 x £1 coins still in my hand he handed back the £10 note saying "you may as well just give me £20 back, you probably need the change more than I do!" So effectively now I had £20 in my hand so for a micro second it seemed ok to hand over the £20 note back to bloke, then they were gone I knew by the time they were out the door I had been scammed and the till was £10 down. Effectively he had handed me back £10 note for a £20!!

It seems this is a well known scam, if I haven't explained this in an understandable way, you can seemingly see examples of this scam on You Tube!

£10 I will never see again!





No comments:

Post a Comment